Roasted Truss Tomatoes stuffed with Couscous, Pine Nuts, Fetta & Raisins
Winter is the perfect time to make this delicious and easy stuffed, roasted tomato recipe.
Cooking Time: 25 mins
• 8 large vine ripened truss tomatoes
• ½ medium brown onion, finely diced
• ¼ cup roasted pine nuts
• ¼ cup raisins
• ¼ tsp. smoked paprika
• 250g couscous
• 200ml water
• 80g butter
• 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
• 100g feta cheese
• ½ cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
• 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
• Salt and black pepper for seasoning
1. Couscous: Boil water with salt, pepper and butter. Place couscous into a large bowl then tip the water mixture over the top. Stir very well with a fork, then check the seasoning, cover with a plate for 5 minutes.
2. Stuffing Mix: Meanwhile heat 2 tbsp. of olive oil in a large frypan, add diced onion, garlic then cook for 5 minutes until soft, next add the pine nuts, raisins, smoked paprika and cook for another 5 minutes. Leave to one side.
3. Next combine the couscous and stuffing mix together, also add half of the finely chopped parsley and all of the feta cheese, stir well until is nicely combined and check seasoning again.
4. To assemble & cook: Preheat fan-forced oven to 200.C
Wash tomatoes and then cut off the tops to around 0.5cm thickness, keep for garnish and place onto a baking tray. Next cut a very small amount off the bottom of tomatoes so they stand up right on the baking tray. Then cut out the insides of the tomatoes with a small knife by cutting in a circular motion in the top, cutting right through to the bottom, discard the insides, this will leave a large gap to fill with mixture. Next fill generously with the stuffing and couscous mixture, up to 1cm over the top of the gap.
Place on baking tray and bake in the oven for approximately 15 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft and coloured nicely.
To serve: Remove the tomatoes from the oven and sprinkle remaining parsley over the tops. Place lids back on top of them, then serve on their own or with a nice fresh side salad, enjoy!
Recipe, Styling, Photography by Julio Castellano.